It’s possible that you’ve been informed about the recent announcement that OpenAI has released the ChatGPT API. If you are currently using the Davinchi-003 API, you might be considering whether it’s the right time to make the switch. Additionally, there has been speculation circulating that the release of GPT-4 is imminent.
Table of Contents
GPT-3.5- Turbo and ChatGPT API Models
In case you’re wondering, GPT-3.5-Turbo API refers to the same API model that powers ChatGPT. ChatGPT API and GPT-3.5-turbo are interchangeable terms. GPT-3.5-Turbo is significantly less expensive than OpenAI’s existing GPT-3.5 models. In fact, it is ten times cheaper and has been shown to outperform Davinci-003 on most tasks at a fraction of the cost. Furthermore, the model’s underlying tunable parameters, such as temperature and top p, do not change. So if you are an early adopter you may be wondering about whether you should use OpenAI’s Davinci-003 or GPT-3.5-Turbo.
Which API Should You Choose?
If you’ve been utilizing the Davinchi-003 API, you may be curious about the benefits of switching to ChatGPT and whether it will have a positive impact on your operations.
A few relevant factors may come into play in deciding whether to make the change over from Davinci to the ChatGPT API. What your profession is may be a huge determining factor in which model is best for you, and in this roundup we will explain why. The model you choose may ultimately also be determined by whether your operations are customer-facing and need responses to be moderated to politically correct standards, in which case choose ChatGPT, or whether you need a powerful model that you can research any topic.
The two models differ significantly on each model’s ability to carry out 0 shot (zero shot) classification tasks and k shot learning tasks.
Zero-Shot Classification & K-Shot Learning
Zero-shot classification refers to the ability of a model to accurately classify objects or concepts that it has not been explicitly trained on. This is achieved through the model’s understanding of the relationships between different objects and concepts. GPT-3.5-turbo is considered the stronger model.
K-shot learning, on the other hand, refers to the ability of a model to learn new concepts or objects with very little training data (k examples). Davinci-003 is considered to be the stronger model.
What Type of Professional Are You?
The type of GPT API model you choose to implement will depend on your professional purpose.
Professionals who require zero-shot classification are those who need to work with a wide range of concepts or objects and may not have access to extensive training data. For example, in the field of natural language processing, a model that can perform zero-shot classification can accurately classify a sentence or paragraph based on its meaning, even if the model has not been explicitly trained on that specific sentence or topic.
- Content creators: Bloggers, journalists, and other content creators who need to classify their content for search engine optimization or other purposes may benefit from zero-shot classification. They may not have access to extensive training data for every topic they write about, but a model that can perform zero-shot classification can still accurately classify their content.
- Customer service representatives: Customer service representatives who use chatbots or other AI tools to assist with customer inquiries may benefit from zero-shot classification. They may not have training data for every possible inquiry, but a model that can perform zero-shot classification can still accurately classify the inquiry and provide a helpful response.
- Social media managers: Social media managers who need to classify posts for targeted advertising or other purposes may benefit from zero-shot classification. They may not have training data for every topic or concept they want to classify, but a model that can perform zero-shot classification can still accurately classify the post based on its meaning.
- Researchers: Researchers in fields such as linguistics or psychology may benefit from zero-shot classification. They may not have access to training data for every concept or phenomenon they want to study, but a model that can perform zero-shot classification can still accurately classify data based on its meaning.
- Language teachers: Language teachers who use AI tools to assess students’ writing or speaking skills may benefit from zero-shot classification. They may not have access to training data for every sentence or topic their students write or speak about, but a model that can perform zero-shot classification can still accurately classify the language based on its meaning.
Professionals who require k-shot learning are those who work with new concepts or objects on a regular basis and need to quickly adapt their models to new data. For example, in the field of computer vision, a model that can perform k-shot learning can quickly learn to recognize new objects with very little training data, allowing for more efficient and effective object recognition.
- Computer vision researchers: Researchers in the field of computer vision often need to quickly adapt their models to new data, such as new types of objects or new lighting conditions. A model that can perform k-shot learning can quickly learn to recognize new objects with very little training data, allowing for more efficient and effective object recognition.
- Product designers: Product designers who use computer vision for tasks such as defect detection or quality control may benefit from k-shot learning. They may need to quickly adapt their models to detect new types of defects or identify new quality control issues with very little training data.
- Autonomous vehicle developers: Developers of autonomous vehicles may benefit from k-shot learning for tasks such as object detection and classification. They may encounter new types of objects on the road that their models have not been trained on, but a model that can perform k-shot learning can quickly adapt to these new objects with very little training data.
- Medical researchers: Medical researchers who use AI tools for tasks such as image analysis or diagnosis may benefit from k-shot learning. They may need to quickly adapt their models to new types of medical images or new medical conditions with very little training data.
- Cybersecurity professionals: Cybersecurity professionals who use AI tools for tasks such as anomaly detection may benefit from k-shot learning. They may encounter new types of attacks or anomalies that their models have not been trained on, but a model that can perform k-shot learning can quickly adapt to these new threats with very little training data.
Is It Time for You to Switch to ChatGPT API?
While the Davinci-003 API is a capable language model, it’s worth considering the advantages of ChatGPT. Some authors suggest the latter boasts superior performance in terms of accuracy, versatility, and speed. These characteristics make the ChatGPT API an ideal choice for developers, businesses, and researchers who require a high-quality language model that can generate text that is almost indistinguishable from human-written content. However, depending on your user case, you may want to consider the benefits of Davinci.
Ethical Implications of AI Models: Comparing ChatGPT and Davinci’s Responses to Inappropriate Requests
One area where ChatGPT excels is identifying innapproriate requests. ChatGPT can quickly recognize when requests are inappropriate and point them out. On the other hand, Davinci isn’t always quick to judge that a request is inappropriate; it takes a much more informative and educational approach.
This can be seen in how the models differed when asked questions on the topic of extortion. ChatGPT took a stance against extortion, while Davinci provided various instructions on how to carry out such acts. This raises concerns about the ethical implications of AI models and the importance of ensuring that models are designed with appropriate ethical guidelines in mind.
Davinci Response To Extorting Money From An Elderly Relative
ChatGPT Response To Extorting Money From An Elderly Relative
In the event that a user asks ChatGPT for assistance with something that could be considered illegal or inappropriate, the service will not offer any guidance.
A person could perhaps assume from the two different model approaches that ChatGPT is a great API for customer facing roles, while the Davinci API model is a stronger model when research needs to dig a little deeper into taboo areas. Any topic can be explored in more depth with Davinci.
Elon Musk Plans to Compete with OpenAI’s ChatGPT over ‘Wokeness’ Criticism
Elon Musk has criticized the “wokeness” of OpenAI‘s ChatGPT and is reportedly seeking to create a competitor to it. He has expressed concerns about training AI to be “woke” and wants to build an alternative that is not influenced by such ideology. While the project is still in its early stages, Musk has begun discussions with AI experts about assembling a team for this purpose. Choosing between the two depends on your specific needs and budget. If you’re looking for a cost-effective solution that still offers great results, ChatGPT might be a good choice.
ChatGPT API Can Be Rude and Non-Woke if You Want It to Be
Although the ChatGPT accessible to the public comes across as woke, Kristian Fagerlie who runs the YouTube channel @AllAboutAI demonstrates that with access to the API you can actually program it to be as rude and as sassy as you want it to be in one of his latest videos, where he gets the ChatGPT API to answer the user in the tone of a Reddit Troll (https://youtu.be/XvCq4nPqE0Y). In this video, Fagerlie demonstrates prompt engineering GPT-3.5-Turbo and the importance of creating roles and personas to generate better output from large language models. With GPT-3.5-Turbo you can convince the API that it is a certain type of persona and it will respond to users in the tone and character that it has been instructed, whether you are a brand like Karen’s restaurant where users like to be insulted or a more upmarket brand where users expect a more professional tone, with the new GPT-3.5-Turbo API it is actually possible to program your chat bots to respond consistently in the manner people would expect from your brand. This differs significantly from the experience that users logging on to the public ChatGPT website get, where they get served political wokeness with every response. Don’t let wokeness dissuade you from trying out the GPT-3.5-Turbo API. Read on to learn what technical experts say about its other benefits.
According to Bihan Jiang writing for scale.com, if you are looking for a language model that is both cost-effective and performs well on zero-shot classification tasks, then GPT-3.5 Turbo might be a good option for you. One of the major advantages of GPT-3.5 Turbo is that it is 10 times cheaper than OpenAI’s previous best language model, GPT-3. In addition, it outperforms Davinci-003 on sentiment analysis and is significantly better at solving math problems.
However, it is important to note that GPT-3.5 Turbo tends to produce longer responses than Davinci-003, which may not be ideal for all use cases. Moreover, including k-shot examples in multi-turn use cases can lead to inefficient resource usage. As with any language model, the performance of GPT-3.5 Turbo for k-shot learning will depend on the specific task and data at hand.
- 10x cheaper than previous best model from OpenAI
- Performs better on 0 shot classification tasks than Davinci-003
- Outperforms Davinci-003 on sentiment analysis
- Significantly better than Davinci-003 at math
- Tends to produce longer responses than Davinci-003, which may not be ideal for all use cases
- Including k-shot examples can lead to inefficient resource usage in multi-turn use cases
Davinci-003 and K-Shot Learning
According to Bihan Jiang, if you are someone who is specifically looking for a language model to perform k-shot learning, then Davinci-003 might be slightly better than other models. This is because Davinci-003 has been trained on a diverse range of tasks and has a larger capacity to learn from fewer examples compared to other models. However, it is important to note that the performance of any language model for k-shot learning will depend on the specific task and data at hand.
- Performs slightly better than GPT-3.5 Turbo with k-shot examples
- Produces more concise responses than GPT-3.5 Turbo, which may be preferable for certain use cases
- Less accurate than GPT-3.5 Turbo on 0 shot classification tasks and sentiment analysis
- Performs significantly worse than GPT-3.5 Turbo on math tasks
Overall, the choice between GPT-3.5 Turbo and Davinci-003 depends on the specific use case and task at hand. GPT-3.5 Turbo may be a better choice for tasks that require high accuracy in math or 0 shot classification and sentiment analysis, while Davinci-003 may be more suitable for tasks that require concise responses or perform better with k-shot examples.
Anticipated Advancements and Potential Impact of GPT-4 on AI-Generated Text
Furthermore, OpenAI just announced the release of GPT-4. GPT-4 is the next generation of GPT. It will be a groundbreaking language model, you have to apply on a waiting list to be able to have access to it. GPT-4 will be a multimodal AI, which is a type of artificial intelligence that can translate text into images, music, and video. It’s anticipated that GPT-4 will push the boundaries of what’s achievable with AI-generated text even further. As such, it’s worth keeping an eye on developments in this area and considering how they may impact your work.
Whether you are an existing Davinci user or have never used an API before and are curious what all the buzz about ChatGPT models is about, exciting technologies are now available, and better technologies may be on the way with GPT-4 and competition from Musk and Google Bard. Check out more APIs available on APILayer Marketplace to become acquainted with what APIs are and what they can do for your business.